Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Craftzine.com blog : How-To: Museum Tunic Dress From Anna Maria Horner

Craftzine.com blog : How-To: Museum Tunic Dress From Anna Maria Horner

Very pretty dress. So many possibilities...

The following was taken from Anna Maria Horner's blog and source information is attached below.

A few notes: I used what's considered a panel and a half of the Square Dance fabric (45" length). I started by cutting the panels apart into four pieces parallel with the selvages. In the sewing, I pressed open all seams, turned allowances under twice and topstitched them down on either side of the seam after step 2, step 3 and again after step 4. This way there are no raw edges anywhere, and you can catch the armhole and neckline openings in this step too. I used 3 rows of elastic about 1/2" apart from each other right under the bust for an empire silhouette. You just stretch the elastic as you zigzag it onto the wrong size. I find this so much quicker than the mock smocking technique with elastic bobbin. I also find it more reliable in terms of good stretch. And this fabric was so easy to follow a straight line because of the square print.

The front is exactly the same as the back, and equally flattering from the front and the back too! And oh my gravy so comfortable. Perfect worn over a nude colored slip, or really any slip. I was originally going to wear it with the belt, but I decided it was a little dressier without for the occasion.

The style could not be more simple, and it felt really appropriate to enter the amazing Golden Age of Couture show in something very simple. There is just no way to compete with the elaborate beauty that is on view now at the Frist Museum. Oh geez. SO gorgeous! I am gonna have to go over there several times this summer, to get a good look at everything. The hardest part for me was the urge to touch everything. Anyway, exciting news: the kind folks at the Frist have asked me to teach a workshop in conjunction with this amazing exhibit! I'll be teaching a sewing class at the museum at the end of the summer and all the info you need is here. They have a beautiful facility and it should be a wonderful inspiring time for me + 20 eager seamstresses!

Thanks for your enthusiasm yesterday about the dressmaking madness, and hope you try one too! xoxo, Anna

source: http://annamariahorner.blogspot.com/2010/06/museum-tunic.html

No comments:

Post a Comment